Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Big Seven. What's the Big Seven??


The Big Seven are the seven core components of WBT.

1. Class-Yes

2. 5 Rules

3. Teach-Okay

4. Scoreboard

5. Mirror

6. Hands and Eyes

7. Switch


We started with the Class-Yes by simply telling students however I say class you say yes. They loved this and it worked SO fast. When we started the school year, the third grade was the only class using WBT. By the end of the year, most of the building was at least using the Class-Yes. Why? Because it sure beats standing with a peace sign in the air or flicking the lights 100 times to still have students talking!

The Five Rules also followed track of the Class-Yes.

1. Follow directions quickly

2. Raise your hand for permission to speak

3. Raise your hand for permission to leave your seat

4. Make smart choices

5. Keep your dear teacher happy

You can find banners of the Five Rules in most rooms in my building; classrooms, cafeteria, specials, etc... Why? Because no matter what a tricky little child will try to pull to break a rule IT WILL NOT HAPPEN -when using the five rules that is:)

The Scoreboard. The wonder of it all. We gathered all the third grade together last year and I asked them, how would you like to play a game with us every day, teachers vs. students. Oh yeah! When students follow the five rules they would earn a point followed by a might oh-yeah. If they were to break any of the rules, I got a point, followed by a mighty shrug and groan. This worked great for me the entire school year. We would change up the rewards which I should mention are not material items. Rewards would be lining up first for lunch or recess, shortened homework, no homework over break, 2 minutes of tech time... I had my doubts that students would get bored and not respond all year, but I was WRONG. Yes, for once I am admitting I was wrong, and gladly so!

Teach-Okays worked wonders. Very similar to cooperative learning. Partners would teach each other a variety of components in the classroom such as gestures, directions, or chunks of information I would give them. Why does this work? REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT. Works every time. Using voices to do Teach-Okays also amped up the kids in their teachings.

Mirror was when the kids mimic the gestures of the teacher or peer. This worked great when you want to make sure all students are paying attention and are engaged in what you are teaching.

Hands and Eyes were used when I had something VERY IMPORTANT to say. I say hands and eyes, they repeat and focus in on me. By the end of the year we were doing hands and eyes using jazz hands, crazy but funny:)

Lastly, the switch. When students would be doing a Teach-Okay and one person was teaching, we would let them go for a few seconds. I would then say "switch" then the other person would teach. This was nice because it got both kids sharing in a way that was comfortable for all. They did not have to talk in front of the whole class or to the teacher. They were simply sharing with a partner which is less threatening and made it great for learner opportunities to take place. I would walk around to assess and jump in when needed.

Of course, I will be using the Big Seven again this year, but changing slightly to the new Core Four. I loved the concept of the Core Four from the WBT conference. The key was an amazing idea to tie into the components of WBT.

Here's to another amazing school year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment